I’ve been struck with the urge to create lately, and not just create, but share. I’ve been stuck in a quarter life crisis for three years now and want to get back to what makes my engine run. That’s creating. I’ve always considered myself an artist, but lacked direction. I still don’t have direction, but I’m aiming for consistency. More than a sporadic post here and there, so let’s see how thing thing plays out.
Last year, I was looking for some new bathroom wall storage and couldn’t quite come up with anything that satisfied me or fell in my budget. Urban Outfitters had the most options out of everywhere I looked, but style-wise, still not what I was looking for.
I’ve always wanted to do a project using acrylic pieces, but hadn’t found the right project until this one. I used TapPlastics.com and ordered 1” thick clear acrylic cut into 3×15″ lengths through the website. I left for a flight the day they arrived and was semi tempted to cancel the trip just to install these shelves, the Grand Canyon will be there, right?! I didn’t cancel the trip and it was a pretty rad time.
I didn’t know how I’d mount these at first, so I browsed around Home Depot and came up with these corner brackets. I thought they would be great in that I could just set the shelf on top and not have to drill any holes in the acrylic. Most hardware for shelves is made for MUCH larger shelf bases, not the tiny 3″ I was hanging.
I laid out the hardware and spray painted them gold. FYI, this is the best way for spraying the heads of nails or screws. The hardest part is having to wait long enough for the paint to dry so I can get them done. I’m a big “can’t wait to see the final product” kind of person.
They say, measure twice, cut once. Well this was like measure one million times. It was the most painful part of this whole install especially when it’s not right the first time around. Also, deciding the right height between shelves was enough to make me question every decision I’ve ever made in life. Eventually I figured it out.
Here’s a close up of how the acrylic sets on the hardware. It was almost a perfect match size-wise and good enough to do the trick.
Pre-styling- I’m like, Look! it works! the shelves work! simply because I set random objects on it. They may look wonky, but it’s just the angle, I spent a lot of time making sure they were right.
Originally, I thought this would hold perfumes and pretty hairs styling bottles, but I ended up putting more and more rocks on it. So now, it’s just a pretty display shelf. I still love that I did the project since acrylic had been floating around in my head forever.